Sunday, June 06, 2004

World War II memories

Today is the 60th anniversary of D-Day, the invasion of France that was the turning point of World War 2. My dad fought in WW2 and Korea. He was an only son of a farmer so he was exempt from service in the military. I asked him once why he enlisted. He said he was tired of not doing his part in the service. He joined the Army in April of 1945. He said he was sworn in the day of FDR's funeral. Because of the timing he missed the action in Europe and was assigned to be part of the invasion of Japan. Truman dropped the atomic bombs and Dad's assignment was changed to the occupation force of Japan. I think that if it weren't for the atomic bombs being dropped I might not even be here.

Saturday President Ronald Reagan died at the age of 93. He was president while I was in my 20's. I didn't vote for him the first time, but I did the second time. I was a registered Democrat until some time during his first term. I changed parties because I am pro-life and saw the Democrats being anti-life. I couldn't square my religious beliefs with a party that had so little regard for life. I have always believed that if it is a baby when it's born when is it not a baby in it's development? The abortion arguments that it is just a blob of tissue during the first trimester is bogus. There is no logic to that argument.

Well, that is my sermon for today.

No comments: