Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Happy Birthday Mom

Today is my mom's 71st birthday. She is the youngest of eight children. She only has four siblings still alive, two sisters and two brothers. She didn't do much today for her birthday. I was going to bake a cake or cookies for her but we had the first harvest of rhubarb yesterday and Dad wants a rhubarb custard pie. The recipe Mom uses is not quite right so I volunteered to find one on the Internet last night. I found a bunch and printed off three of the easiest ones and showed her and we both picked the same one. I told her I could do everything but roll out the crust. Turned out that what Dad cut yesterday was not enough for two pies so he cut another ten or twelve stalks. I thought that would be plenty but once it was all chopped up it wasn't. I asked Mom about it and she said to just go with it. After the pies were baked we both decided it that it really wasn't enough rhubarb. Next time we will use more. The pies tasted really good.

I am getting very domestic these days, I made supper last night and baked two pies this afternoon and helped with supper again tonight. I have two bags of chocolate chips so I still want to make cookies. Oh well, I will eventually. Maybe Saturday.

1 comment:

Thomas Schulte said...

Hmm, now you've got me thinking about ruhbarb pie. Maybe I'll put on my poor bachelor brother face and con one of my 2 nice sisters into making me one from our Ancestral plot. I rarely do anything with it other than to pull off seed heads or grab one to munch on as I go past.