Monday, August 22, 2005

The End Approaches

Sunday morning Dad made the decision that it was time to go to Taylor House Hospice because when he got up during the night to go to the bathroom he almost fell. He has gotten progressively weaker and unsteady on his feet.

This afternoon when he tried to get up to go to the bathroom he couldn't stand so he asked for a Foley catheter. He is getting so weak now. Mom says he has told her he is ready to go, he is tired of fighting. I can't say I blame him, he has been fighting this cancer for almost 5 years now.

Last night and tonight my sister, Linda, and her husband, Jeff, are spending the night at the hospice. Linda said that last night Dad would wake up and not know where he was for a few minutes. She would talk to him a little and he would be ok. During the day he is sleeping more and more. The hospice nurse that came to the house said that he would sleep more and would probably die in his sleep.

Linda is supposed to go back to West Point on Saturday. I don't know if she can get more time off or not, I hope so. I asked Chris, my nephew, how much time he had off from the Air Force. He said he could take as much time as he needed but after this weekend he would be in the negative for leave. I think Jeff can take as much time as he needs and that he probably has plenty leave coming to him. I don't know what will happen.

No comments: