Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Worst News

Tuesday Mom and Dad when to see his oncologist for the results from his blood work and possibly another chemo infusion. The doctor told them the last infusion hadn't done any good so he was recommending stopping all treatment. He said Dad could have 2 weeks, 2 months, or up to 6 months. They talked about all their options for home care, hospice care, or whatever. Today Mom called the Home Care service and the admitting nurse came out to help us decide what we wanted to do. Dad decided he wanted to stay home as long as we can take care of him. He is getting so weak he can't stand for long. Last night when mom and dad went downstairs to shower he had trouble getting back upstairs. This morning he couldn't even stand long enough to shave.

The saddest part is that Mom and Dad's 50th anniversary is on October 10 and Dad's 81st birthday is on October 24. I don't know if he can last that long. I hope he can. I want them to have that anniversary and I want him to have that birthday. I'm not ready to lose my daddy yet!

I was also told that Tuesday was the last day of my assignment at DataVision.

Today is the first day of the Iowa State Fair. I had planned on going today but with everything going on I'm still home and I'm not sure I will be going today. This will be the first time in 5 years I haven't gone the first day. Even last year, a month after my surgery, I went to the fair. I bought 2 tickets in advance so I hope I get to use them.

No comments: